Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Crafty Lessons - Apple Time! (Freebie)

I don't know what it is about apples, but it seems that kids love learning about them.  I think it's because an apple is such a familiar item, so they already know a lot about it. That may be why so many teachers use apples as a beginning-of-the-year theme.

Here's an adorable apple craft that I have made with my Firsties, along with a pack of freebie printables at the end.


I looove paper plate crafts -- paper plates are so affordable, and they can be turned into so many things!  This time, we cut the plate on both sides so that it resembled an eaten apple.  (I recommend having your kiddos mark where they are going to cut -- the curved cut can be difficult for them to eyeball.)  We used one of the cut-off pieces to make the leaf, then cut a rectangle out of the other scrap to make the stem.

I think it would be awesome to glue real apple seeds in the middle instead of drawing them.

Then, their favorite part... which happened to be the most educational part!  We labeled the parts of the apple with Post-it flags.  You could also give each child a regular Post-it and cut it into strips.  (It seems that we forgot to label the flesh!)

We did this activity after reading a bunch of apple books all week.  I also have a pack of apple printables available for free in my TPT store.  The pack includes 4 graphic organizers, writing prompts, and apple stationary.  Nothing fancy, but I wanted to pass it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips