Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Word Work Idea #1 - Consonants & Vowels (Freebie)


I'm starting a series of blog posts called 50 Word Work Ideas... which I think is pretty self-explanatory.  I hope that it will be a great resource for teachers who are looking for word work activities for centers, Daily 5, interventions, etc.  I plan to post a new idea every Wednesday.

This is the first installment -- it's a simple activity that doesn't require a lot of prep work.  I've included a freebie mini-poster at the end.

This activity reinforces the concept of consonants and vowels.  It's also great spelling/phonics practice.

First, have the kidlets create a key. I let the students pick their own colors, but they must create a key to show which color is for consonants and which is for vowels.  Making a key is a very big deal in our class, and I spend a bit of time modeling and explaining the concept.


Students should write their words with a pencil, then go over that with a crayon or marker.  You might have students use the word wall, spelling list, etc, as a source of words.

Very simple, but effective.  Plus, markers make everything fun!

Here is a mini-poster/instruction sheet that my students use for reference.  You can download it for free at my TPT store.


2 comments:

  1. This looks great Alicia! I love Word Study because it is so crucial for our Firsties. =)

    When you get the chance, add a follow button. You can go to design at the top of your blog and choose layout. Choose add a gadget and the follow button should be the 9th one. I would love to follow you. =)

    If you get the chance, I would love for you to hop over and visit me. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, thanks so much for the tip! I was able to add the widgets for follow by email and rss feed.

    I am stalking..er..reading your blog right now. Love it! I added you to my Google Reader. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips