Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Word Work Idea #2 - Foam Puzzles


Here's the second installment of my Word Work series -- cute foam puzzles that I use for literacy stations.



My students loooove puzzles.  I have a few sets of phonics match-ups and sound-it-out puzzles from Lakeshore Learning, and I love them.  But the selection is somewhat limited and the prices add up.  The cost is a big factor when you consider that pieces are bound to get lost... those babies aren't going to last forever.  Not in first-grade hands!

So, in addition to my store-bought puzzles, I make my own foam puzzles on the cheap.  The foam is more durable than anything I could laminate.

I bought the big foam sheets this time due to color preference.  If you buy the smaller sheets, it makes for less cutting.  I got 12 sheets for $5, so I'll get 72 puzzles out of this pack.. not a bad deal!

I just use a ruler to make straight lines...


...then I cut the foam up.  These pieces are about 6x6 inches each.


Next, I cut each square to make a "jigsaw."  You can use waves, triangular, or boxy cuts.  I don't put a lot of thought into how I cut.  At first, I worried that I might cut two puzzles the same way.  But since then, I've made lots of these puzzles, and I just don't think it's possible to make the same exact cut twice!


Now, the fun part...writing!  You can use Sharpies or 3D paint for this part.


I didn't have time for the 3D paint to dry, so I opted for Sharpies this time.  I like to test on a scrap to pick the color.


Today I made puzzles for sight word practice.  Each puzzle has a phrase that contains one of the weekly sight words.  (The phrases come from my Sight Word in Context pack.)  Write the phrase on the top and the bottom.  Make sure that you don't run out of room!  I almost did here.


Next, I cut the bottom into individual words.


Tada!  Instant center that kiddos love!


You can use these for way more than just phrased reading.  Here are some ideas:

Math Facts
Spelling Words
Sight Words
Capital and Lowercase Letters
Beginning/Ending Sound Matchups

I'm sure there are a ton more.

Has anyone crafted any classroom items out of foam?  Is anyone as obsessed with Sharpies as I am?  I swear, I have at least 70 Sharpies...

2 comments:

  1. Don't know how I missed this comment, sorry! I get it from Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips