Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Phonics Spinners

I have always coveted those plastic phonics spinners that allow students to create three or four letter words.  BUT... there are a lot of things that I covet, and you have to draw the line somewhere, right?

Here is a really cheap, low-tech way to create your own phonics spinners.  They are not as durable as the plastic ones, but the price is right.  I used styrofoam cups, which you can get a hundred of for a couple dollars, and Sharpies.


It's simple.  Just write the letters you want on each cup, stack them, and spin!  I've pictured sets I've made for s-blends and CVC words.



These are great for a literacy station.  I've included some recording sheets on Google Drive in case you would like to use this.

Do you buy a lot of high-end tools for your classroom, or do you go the DIY route?  I used to buy a lot of stuff, but decided to cut back.

xo, Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips