Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Word Work Idea #3 - Chalk

Today's word work entry is chalk.  Yes, boys and girls, we're going back to basics today!

When I was a kid, my chalkboard was actually one of my favorite toys.  I looooved drawing with my chalk.  I also looooved keeping my toys clean.  One day, I decided that I couldn't live with my dirty, dusty chalk anymore.  So, I took my bag of chalk to the bathroom, filled with it water, and gave my chalk a bath.

Oh, those pieces of chalk looked so shiny and new!  No more icky dust muting those lovely colors.  Of course, I was very disappointed to find out that you cannot draw with wet chalk. There may have been a tantrum tears shed.  Happily, the chalk was nice, clean, and dry a couple days later.

That story has nothing to do with word work, but I thought it was amusing enough to share.  :)


Chalk as a word work station is pretty straight forward.  Sometimes simple is better, so the students can focus more on reading and writing.

At the beginning of the year I have my students practice writing Word Wall words or words from their personal word lists.  Later in the year they graduate to using words in sentences.

I bought a set of chalkboards from Lakeshore Learning (search for 'chalk lapboard').  However, you might be interested in making your own chalkboards with chalkboard paint.  There is a cool tutorial on how to make your own boards -- and even your own chalkboard paint -- here at A Beautiful Mess.  In a pinch, you can use pieces of black construction paper (they even erase somewhat cleanly).


I store chalk in those teeny tupperware containers... you know, the ones that come with every set but are too small to fit any actual food in?  Each busy student gets their own little container, which helps to keep things neat.

I almost feel silly including such simple ideas on my word work list, but I definitely think that it is worth going back to basics sometimes.  Just remember not to wash your chalk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips